We are so excited to share our favorite summer treat: Plum Upside Down Cake. This gorgeously scrumptious cake will be a hit at any gathering!
3/4 cup unsalted, softened butter
3/4 cup coconut sugar
5-7 plums or pluots, halved and pitted
10 oz bag of Ocean Ranch Organic Wild Honey Sesame Granola
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, separated & at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On low heat on the stove, melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a 10 inch cast iron skillet, add in brown sugar. Mix with a fork until smooth and then remove from heat. Pour bag of Wild Honey Sesame Granola on top of the mixture.
- Place plum halves skin side up on a cutting board and slice into 1/4 inch slices. Take each slice and form concentric circles starting at the outer edge and finishing in the center. Overlap slices as you go around.
- Fit your standing mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a hand mixer). Beat remaining butter with granulated sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy & light. In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and vanilla then add to butter mixture. In another bowl, gently whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, add dry mixture to butter mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk and beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until just combined and transfer to another large bowl.
- Clean out your mixer bowl and fit your standing mixer with the whisk attachment. Whisk the egg whites on medium-high for about 2 minutes, until soft peaks form. Take 1/3 of the whites and stir into the batter, then fold in remaining whites. Pour batter over plums in skillet, spread with a spatula to distribute evenly.
- Bake for about 1 hour, until top is browned and springs back when gently pressed in the center. Remove skillet from the oven and transfer to a wire rack for about 20 minutes to cool. Turn out cake onto a pretty serving plate. Let cool completely before serving!
We hope you enjoy this recipe!